Rubicon Report

The conditions didn't seem fantastic when I arrived. The river seemed a little dirty and the overcast conditions meant visibility was very low. However, I walked down stream to find three fish rising in the same pool.

The first fish of the day was by far the easiest. He was feeding in front of a log jam, but I couldn't cast near him without getting in his line of sight. Since there were two other fish feeding further up in the same pool and in easier places to cast to, I decided to walk past him and go for the second fish. Casting to the second fish wasn't as easy as I anticipated due to some low willow branches. Then I heard a rise behind me. I turned to look and the first fish had come out of the log jam and was feeding on the bank maybe twenty feet away and moving towards me. I cast back about five feet short of him. Luckily there was no drag on the fly as it sat waiting for the fish to make his way to it. After a small struggle and some near misses with snags I managed to net him.

With my confidence up I turned my attention back to the second fish, who by now was keenly feeding and rising very frequently. Unfortunatley he had moved forward about ten feet adding a further degree of difficulty. After 10-15 minutes I finally spooked him. And the third fish had become bored waiting for me and had stopped rising.

Moving up the river I only found two more fish. One was impossible to cast to and the other saw me as soon as I saw him.

The next movement I spotted was a rather large red belly black snake. It went left into the river and I went right as far as I could.

By the time I got to my car I hadn't managed to spot another fish. I had planned to fish upstream, only I found my ute surrounded by twenty other cars and a group of elderly people using it as a wind break for their BBQ. I wasn't real keen on fishing in front of a crowd so I decided to move on to another spot.

On my arrival I found another fly fisherman who was just finishing up with the same stretch of river I was about to start. He said he had only spotted one fish and was unable to catch it. Since it was getting dark I decided to go over that same stretch of water in the hope that maybe something might happen.

Walking around the first bend I spotted a fish rising. I don't believe this was the fish I was told about, as this one took my fly very easily. After another short struggle I managed to net a small rainbow.

As the night crept in the mozzies came out and no amount of repellent was going to make them back off. I spotted and spooked two more fish. Then the mozzies became too much. Heading back to my car I found one more fish rising. He was in the middle of the stream and there were no trees to interfere with my casting, I had to have a go. As I crept down the bank I failed to notice the deep hole the grass was covering. The next thing I knew I slipped down a gap between two rocks that were waist deep. I couldn't get out fast enough. I think it was a combination of stories about mine shafts my father scared me with as a kid and the possibility of finding a snake with my foot. Either way it was the best vertical leap I have ever done. When my heart rate finally slowed down I focused on the fish again. However, this fish was fussy and the mozzies were not. I swatted my arm to get a mozzie that was having a feed only to have three more take his place. At this point I decided I had had a good day and it was time to go home.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn


General Meetings

All Welcome
1st Wednesday
of Every Month 7:00 - 9:00 PM

Committee Meetings

1st Wednesday
of Every Month 6:30 - 7:30 PM


Search our site